A place for all of those recipes I collect as well as a place to document good wines and foods I have tried.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

El Trompo Red Salsa

This is the recipe for a red salsa I had at El Trompo in Mazatlán Mexico. At the time I couldn't place the chile used and thought it was a cousin to a chipolte. It was only moderately spicy which usually does not appeal to me but I had to have the recipe. This is what I was able to get from the waiter.

Chile Morita (dried)
Tomato sauce

The sauce at El Trompo was very liquidy (is that a word?)

Boil the Morita chilies until soft, mix in the tomato sauce. 

I haven't tried this yet but assume there must be some breakdown of the chilies prior to adding in the tomato sauce. Maybe puree them together? Maybe take the chiles out of the boiled water once soft, puree then add the tomato sauce?

No comments:

Post a Comment